- 1 whole "good egg" from any farmer at Main Street Farmer's Market -room temp
- 1 egg yolk -room temp
- 1 teaspoon good mustard (homemade mustard is really super easy to make; I just use my friend Ashley's homemade stuff)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (or any kind of acidic liquid will do- like vinegar)
- 3/4 - 1 cup olive oil OR a mixture of olive oil and vegetable oil of your choice- sunflower is good
- nice pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon herbs, garlic, or whatever you want to flavor it with (optional)
Supposedly this can be done in the blender even more easily. I don't have a blender so I couldn't tell you....
When I was at Ballymaloe Cookery School part of our 'semi final exam' was exhibiting the cooking skills we had learned over the past three months. The night before I studiously/anxiously sharpened my filleting and boning knives, worried that I would be requested to fillet a round fish (landlubber that I am I had only filleted about five round fish in my life) or bone a leg of lamb. Lucky for me I ended up having, in a very quiet room and carefully watched by three teachers, to make pie pastry, mayonnaise, and a poached egg. If I can make mayonnaise while being scrutinized then anyone can. I have terrible stage fright.